Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ahhh! The weekend!

To most people, the weekend is filled with a bunch of free time. Free time to absolutely NOTHING! Or, free time to work around the house, both inside and out. However, for us, the weekends are nothing even close. No, our weekends revolve around our children... their friends, their activities, etc... Some days I take a step back, and wonder, "When did this phenomenon occur? When did our weekends become more about the kids, than about us? " Sure, there are times when it's tiring (such as this weekend, which I will write about in just a minute), but for the most part, I love it. I like being busy. I like having things to do. But there are also those times when I wish for nothing to do, so that I can catch up on housework and yardwork, or even just to have time to chill! What are your weekends like?

I believe I've mentioned in previous posts, that Hannah is playing for a traveling lacrosse team. It's only for the month of June, but they play in 4 tournaments. Her regular lax season is now over, but she has picked up practices for this new team, twice a week. Her first tournament was this weekend.... up in Towson! Her team was scheduled for their first game on Friday evening, then two games yesterday (one at 10am, the other at 5pm -- making for a long day!). Steve and I both were able to go to Friday's game, but we had a conflict yesterday, since Rebecca regular season team had a lax tournament too. Steve took Rebecca, and I rode w/my friend, Teresa, who's daughter Tina, is also on the team. Hannah's second game was cancelled yesterday, due to rain, and rescheduled for today, at 3:15.. In addition, Rebecca's team was supposed to have their team party yesterday afternoon, after their tournament, and that was rescheduled for today as well, due to a tornado warning around here (it was a pool party). So, you can see where this is going.... yes, my Sunday.. the one day this weekend that I thought I was going to have free, is now gone.

I had envisioned nothing too exciting for today, merely working in the yard w/Steve, and catching up on much needed laundry. Who knows, maybe I'd even go a little crazy, and do some other cleaning!!! Well, Steve ended up driving back up to the fairgrounds for today's game (which has now taken on a 1 hour rain delay; ugh!), and I took Rebecca to her team party (which she had a blast). I'm home now, and it's already 3:45! The day is gone.

Guess all I can do now, is share a few pics from Hannah's tournament.... enjoy :)


Hannah in Action!




















Amanda Joy - The cutest team mascot!















Hannah with a few teammates (and team mascot! lol)

2 comments:

Yo-Yo Mama said...

That sure was a big storm yesterday and thankfully Joe's game finished in time. We had a game today too but we didn't get any rain at all. We have our own little climate down here in SoMD! LOL

Anonymous said...

Holly, after reading the story you wrote about how your life revolves around kis, those words put a smile on my face & a few tears in my eyes. Rick & I are so proud of you & Steve & what wonderful things you are doing with your girls! Few parnts out there ever really get it - that it isn't material things kids want to thrive, it's YOU they want, your presence with them sharing their life. I feel we raised 3 happy, very successful boys due to all the things we did WITH them through their growing up. They asked us to be ther with them. I pity the parent who never see their child play their sport or come watch their marching band competitions. They & their kids are really missing out when the parents drop their kids at "the curb" only to return hours later to pick them up. ATheir childhood is so short, the messy house can wait - but your child's emotional health cannot. Keep up the good work - you're doing a great job!!