Friday, April 19, 2013

Bagel Me!

So this self titled "non baker" is at it again!  Only this time, it's not a cake, pie, or tart in the oven, it's BAGELS!  I know, I've put on my brave hat today and am taking the plunge.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll turn out to be a baker afterall... though I highly doubt it.  LOL

I found this recipe on another blog, Little Pink Monster .  She in turn, got her recipe for the bagels from Everyday Emma.  So here we go!

Everything Bagels
(this photo by: Everyday Emma)


What you need:  
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 tsp (one package) active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp coarse grain sea salt
1 egg



In a small bowl, combine warm water and sugar.  Let the sugar dissolve completely.   Next, pour in the yeast and allow to sit for 6-8 minutes to activate.  In a larger bowl, whisk the flour and 1/1/2 tsp salt.  Once the yeast mixture is active, pour it into the flour mixture and stir until it forms a crumbly dough.  (see photo below)


Now turn out the dough on a floured surface and knead for 6-7 minutes, until the dough becomes elastic-like.  I actually did this using my mixer and my dough hook attatchment.  Dough will look like photo below.


Now place your dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl and place in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.


Once risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Divide it into 8 equal pieces.

Shape each piece of dough into a ball.  Press your finger into the center to form the hole.  Once all of the bagels are shaped, allow them to rest for 10 minutes. 


Next, place them into boiling water (they should float).  Let them cook for 45-60 seconds, per side, and remove to your baking sheet.


Next, whisk 1 egg and 1 tsp water in a small bowl and brush each bagel with the egg mixture.  Now sprinkle on the seeds!  I made some with just sesame seeds, some plain, and some with everything!

After you add your seeds, bake in a 425 oven for 20 minutes.  

** Mine are baking right now, and I cannot even begin to tell you how AMAZING my house smells right now!  


They're done!   



They look AMAZING!


I think I have a new obsession!  Blueberry is next....





No comments: