Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lumpia... not Oompa Loompa!!

Ahhh... Lumpia... just the word itself, bring a big smile to my face.  When I hear the word, I can smell them.. I can taste them... and so many childhood memories come running back to me.  Yes, I have a fondness to Lumpia, thanks to the Oy family who were members of my church growing up, and friends of my parents.  Every year, our church would have a bazaar.. Church members would sell crafts, unwanted items, as well as baked goods.  But the Oy family... oh the Oy family.. they sold a little piece of heaven!  LUMPIA!  We liked it so much, that they shared their family recipe with my parents.

Over the years, that recipe has been lost, however my Mother could remember what she put in them when she'd make it.  I have now shared this delightful treat with my family, and I am positive that some day, they will share it with their own families.  I have shared this before on my blog, and going to share it again!

Keep in mind that you can add your own touch to your Lumpia.. you can use chicken, pork, whatever you want!  Be creative!

Unfortunately, I don't have exact measurements for my recipe, but I will do my best!


What you'll need:  
  • Lumpia Wrappers - I find mine at a local Asian grocery store
  • Ground beef - for this Lumpia making session, I used 2 pounds of ground beef.  I make one batch plain (just the beef and seasoning) for my picky eater..
  • Soy Sauce
  • Carrots - diced small (about a handful and a half)
  • Celery - diced small (about a handful and a half)
  • Chinese Cabbage (about a handful), chopped
  • 1 can of water chestnuts - diced
  • Bean Sprouts if desired - I left them out because my family complains about them! lol
What you do:

  1. Brown your meat.  Make sure you get the meat broken up small..

  2. Drain meat, then add Soy Sauce (to taste).  I probably used about 1/4 cup.  Cook on Medium low for about 3 minutes.
  3. Add Carrots to mix first, as they take the longest to cook.  After another 3 minutes, add Celery and Water Chestnuts.
  4. Continue to cook about another 3 minutes, then add your cabbage.  Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until everything is hot.  
  5. Remove from heat and let rest.

Now you are ready to wrap!

Wrapping your Lumpia is very easy!  I should have mentioned that you can find Lumpia wrappers in two different packaging options.  The easiest (and more expensive) is the individual wrappers.. The wrappers are separated by a sheet of paper, which makes it much easier to remove the wrapper for use.  I buy the ones that I have to separate myself , to keep costs down.

  1. Lay your wrapper on a flat surface, and add a spoonful of your filling.


  2. Next roll up the bottom, covering the filling.
  3. Fold over your two sides.
  4. Roll up again, tucking in the sides once more, by folding them in (like wrapping a present).
  5. Brush the very tip of the remaining wrapper with water, and finish rolling.  Press gently against the wet part to make sure it sticks.

    Your finished Lumpia will look like this:

    To cook them, simply fill a pan with about a 1/2 inch of cooking oil (I prefer Peanut, as it just cooks better), and fry Lumpia until brown on both sides (turning often).  Drain on paper towels. 

    Enjoy!




No comments: