Monday, April 15, 2013

Spinach Dip!!

Growing up, I was that child that didn't venture out much when it came to food.  I liked what I liked, and that was it.  Yes, I was what you call a picky eater.  Every parents nightmare.  However, I did seem to take after my Mom, who may have liked more veggies than I, but was just as picky, if not more.  My father's pallet seemed to be much broader, though he was picky when it came to preparation and presentation.

Over the years, my taste buds have matured, and I now find myself eating foods that they younger me would shutter at the though of putting in my mouth.  One of those things is spinach.  Sure, growing up I saw that it made Popeye turn into a muscle clad hottie that made Olive Oil weak in the knees, but that didn't change my mind. Not one bit!  I now like spinach.  Not too big on it raw in salads, but do like it when it's cooked, or prepared in a dish.  I've grown!

I've become a Spinach Dip professional over the last several years.  Stumbling on a recipe and altering it to better suit my likes to make it my own, it's grown into an obsession.  This is the dish I'm required to bring when a dish needs to be brought.  My family is very upset with me if I don't bring it to a family gathering, as it's become a tradition in it's own right.

So many times I hear, "Who made the spinach dip!?" ,  "This is amazing, what's in it?" ,  "This is really good, what's your recipe?"  The selfish side of me wants to keep it to myself.. afterall, I'm a spinach dip making legend!  Shouldn't I just let people think that I'm that good of a cook?  Shouldn't I let them think I slaved for hours over this dish?  Okay, so the unselfish side of me wins, and I'm going to share it..

I adapted my recipe from the Knorr Spinach Dip recipe.



Holly's Spinach Dip
*Please note that this makes ONE batch.  A typical party will require AT LEAST it to be doubled.  Yes, it's that good!

Ingredients:

  • 1 package (10 oz) frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
  • 16oz Sour Cream
  • 1 package of Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix (you can use any dry Vegetable Soup Mix, but it doesn't taste the same!)
  • 1 can water chestnuts (or 1/2 can, depending on your taste)
Directions:
  • Thaw spinach, rinse and drain
  • Chop water chestnuts
  • Mix all ingredients together
  • Let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.  Overnight is best!
There you go!  Probably the best spinach dip you'll have, and it's OH SO EASY!!!





No comments: