Thursday, April 4, 2013

Planning: Important Decisions!

So now that we've decided to somehow manage a family vacation to Florida, there are many details that need to be figured out.  Details such as WHEN  to go, WHERE to go, and HOW we will get there.  Well, the how is pretty easy.. we have to drive.  Airfare for 5 is not cheap.. then having to rent a car would be a PITA.  So one decision made.  As for WHEN.. That came pretty easily too, as the soon to be 16 year old would like to have her freshly painted toenails in the white sand on her birthday.  Dates are set (being flexible with a day or two). Now for the WHERE...

Florida's Gulf Coast also holds a special place in my heart, and I have more fond memories with time spent with my Dad on the Gulf.  My Dad loved Florida.  In fact, he took me there several times.  At one point he wanted to retire in the Ft. Myers area, but ultimately sacrificed that desire to stay around his grandchildren (my brothers children).  One of the things we want to do while we are down there is to visit with some family friends who live in Largo, just outside of Clearwater.  So my hunt for a beach began in that area.

We first looked at Treasure Island, FL, and my fingers typing away on the laptop brought me to the Thunderbird Resort.  A place my Dad had taken me in High School.  Loved this place.  I quickly was drawn in, and placed a reservation for a Beachfront room.  So excited!  But then I began second guessing my decision.  Reading more about the beaches of Florida's Gulf Coast, I stumbled upon information of a place called Heaven... I mean Siesta Key.  Powder White Beaches... Clear Azure water.. Apparently ranked the #1 beach in the USA... Okay, I'm interested.  I can invite the thought of possibly going elsewhere. Now where to stay...


No comments: