Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cherry Blossoms!

Growing up just outside of Washington, D.C., I often took for granted all of the history that was in my backyard.  Most of our school field trips (that I can remember) were trips taken into the city to some museum.  Don't get me wrong, for I always enjoyed them, and was fascinated year after year at the giant elephant that greeted you as you entered the Natural History Museum.  Stood in awe at the humongous whale that hung above me, and marveled at the reconstructed dinosaurs.  But over the years, I seemed just not to appreciate the wonderful things that were right in my own backyard.

Flash forward to present day, and I'm now a Mom.  And yes, I am that Mom.  You know the one... the Mom that wants to expose my brood to as much history as I possibly can.. even though it bores them to tears.  You can imagine my delight when my oldest daughter ASKED, yes, you read that right... she asked to go to see the Cherry Blossoms!  Success!  Granted this trip is very different than walking through a massive museum, and having to read about history, but I was delighted all the same.

Driving into Washington, D.C. doesn't take us very long, however trying to find a parking spot is another story.  So we opted to take public transportation.. The Metro, to be exact.  The Metro brings back a lot of memories for me, as my high school friends and I used it ALL the time on our many trips into D.C., back in the day (did I just say that? lol).  As you can see, they enjoyed riding the Metro... and yes, they were busy on their phones, taking pictures of strange things they saw along the way...

I couldn't believe the crowds!!  We had a beautiful day, and the Cherry Blossoms were just past their peak (wish we could have gone a few days earlier), but they were still beautiful.  I think the rest of the DC area had the same idea.  Here are a few pictures from our day...





I vow that next year, I will stay on top of the Cherry Blossom and their peak days so that we may finally get to see them at their best!!!



No comments: